Monday, April 1, 2019

Last week, I was given the honor of hosting a blogpost on the Top Ten Disney blog by Christopher Lucas (thank you very much again, Chris):
https://topdisneyblog.com/ron-baxleys-top-ten-disney-parks-experiences , and am reposting the text of the post here (the guest Top Disney blog has photos when you go there via the link, etc.):


Ron Baxley’s Top Ten Disney Parks Experiences

  1. Alice in Wonderland dark ride at Disneyland – Though a life-long visitor to Walt Disney World for 40 years, I was only first able to visit Disneyland for the first time in 2015. I journeyed on the wonderful, glowing, and whimsical world that was the Alice in Wonderland dark ride. I laughed. I cried… well, almost. I nearly cried at the singing flowers because they brought back so many memories (even some of my late grandmother Hattie’s garden), and I, of course, laughed at the antics of the Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter and March Hare at the end. The over-the-top Red Queen never fails to please on screen or in person, and the dark ride treated me to one of her angrier scenes.
  2. Peter Pan’s Flight – I have been on both the ones in Disneyland and Walt Disney World. I was petrified around age four on the one at the Magic Kingdom (I was also afraid of Captain Hook during a character greeting). In the miniature “flying” pirate ship in the dark ride, I was terrified of the heights but was also really hooked by the illusion created below. Returning to the one at Walt Disney World is always a joy. Going to the one at Disneyland for the first time in my forties truly made me feel young again.
  3. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride – I have been on both the now closed Florida one and the still open California one. I was afraid of the one at the Magic Kingdom a bit when I was young, because of the herky-jerky qualities of the ride (not to mention the horrific scenes toward the end) but grew to like it when I was a bit older. Seeing the one at Disneyland with its ornate statuary and props was quite the experience. It showed that Disneyland was still quaint in comparison to Walt Disney World yet had a lot more hands-on artistry behind it. One can really see Walt’s influence there and the creativity of his animators who were brought over to work on it.
  4. Journey into Imagination at Epcot – Figment, the star of this ride, is up there with the original Elliot in my list of friendly Disney dragons. He was always one of my favorites since first visiting Epcot in 1983. As a child I really enjoyed the hands-on experiences at the Imagination Pavillion after Figment’s ride was over. It included digital drawing tools and touchless musical tools. Who can forget the iconic “One Little Spark of Imagination” song by the Sherman Brothers, either? I can still hear the chorus!
  5. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – I used to be scared of any type of roller coaster as a child, and this was one of the ones that weaned me from that fear. I liked the western theming of Thunder Mountain, with the desert hills and dried-out architecture. The dark tunnels were both frightening and exhilarating all at once. Later, I was able to see my niece enjoy this same ride and could even watch the fireworks while riding it with her and my sister during a visit. Seeing the colorful sparks and hearing the muffled booms in the distance while rushing down the track are experiences I will always treasure.
  6. Country Bear Jamboree – I grew tired of country music because I grew up with it in the rural South. However, the Country Bear Jamboree always made me smile because of the parodies of country stars and just how comical they are. My favorite was always what I thought was an obvious Johnny Cash nod.
  7. Dinosaur! at Animal Kingdom – I was a major fan of a certain other dinosaur franchise toward the middle of the 90s. Being able to experience the speed of a coaster with the thrill of dinosaurs come to life exhilarated me. As a science fiction fan, I always enjoyed the time travel plot too, so the theming of this ride really pulled me In.
  8. The Haunted Mansion – Both of the U.S. Disney Haunted Mansions are different stylistically, but I love their shared bad puns, music, effects, and spooky/yet not too spooky atmosphere. The cobwebs, dust, and dank around the faux antiques, though making my allergic nose itch a bit, really contribute to the décor. The droll Cast members at each are to die for (pun intended.)
  9. Animation Academy – I loved to draw cartoons and draw in general for many years and was pushed in another direction toward the end of high school. Before that, I liked to write and illustrate little stories. I continued with the writing and am now a published author. However, I never forgot the side of me that liked to draw. The Animation Academy, first at Disney-MGM Studios and then at Disney California Adventure, brought this side out again. I once made a wonderful depiction of Pluto there that I still have in my room.
  10. Meeting Mickey Mouse – Just meeting Mickey Mouse is an iconic experience that makes me beam and tear up a little each time I do it. My late father made Walt Disney World a part of our lives for quite a few years, and seeing Mickey reminds me of him and years of wonderful experiences with family and friends at Walt Disney World.

No comments:

Post a Comment